A collection of maps depicting the area over the ages. These are obviously just small images in comparison to the real maps but will take a little time to download
At the head of Loch-aediff ther is a glen called Glen-aediff, plentifull of fische and flesche. the river aediff runneth throch it, and so into the loch.
Beandirloch is upon the north syd of Loch-aediff, ovir aganis Mucarne upon the south syd of the loch, it is devyded betuix two owners, it is cald Bean-aedir-da-loch that is a mowntayn betuix two Lochis, and so it lyeth betuix Loch-aediff and Loch-Greverin.
The south syd of thir cowntrey perteyneth to the Laird of Caldor and the north-syd to the laird of Glen-wurquhy. Upon the south syd of Bean-adir-da-loch lyeth Ardchattan, a pryorie renowned in old tyme as the habitation of relligious men, it hath a small town, and the remaynis of a good Churche. the teynds of many of the nixt lands pertyned therto, yea many of the teynds of Lochabyr to thir day. it hath a paroche Churche besyd the Abbay Churche upon the syd of a hill looking to the East and South East, called Kil-Bedan, but the pryorie itself is more pleasantly seeted, the cowntrey about is good and fertill both for corn and pasturage. At the west end of thir cowntrey near the sea is a small Chappell cald Kilchallumkill. a myl from the ferry of Gonnaill in Lorne, in the village therof, ther is a hie hill rownd and playne about, levell above, a spring of water upon the top therof, it seemeth to have been a fort of old, the cowntrey people do speak of giants as builders or inhabiters therof. in thir towne ther ar abowndance of pumick stonis floating upon the water, if they be throwne in the same, not elswhair in thir quarters to be fownd but in thir chappell towne cald in English St. Colmis Chappell.
The northsyd of thir cowntrey pertyning to the Laird of Glen-wrquhy hath a castell not far from thir Chappell called Bar-chaildein. it is thrie myles betuix the Gonnaill forsaid and the ferry of the Sian, which is betuix Beanadir-da-loch and the Appin. Thir north Bean-adir-da-loch is a good and commodious cowntrey, it lyeth on the south syd of Loch Greverin and the Appin. On the uthir syd therof being the northsyd ther is a glen at the head of the Loch called Glen-greverin, therin is a fresche water Loch upon a myl from the sea. In Loch greverin ther is a hie mountayne upon the northsyd therof, in the midpart therof betuix the sea and the mowntayn ther is a Chappell called Craikwherre-ellan, ther ar springs of fresche water and the opinion of the wholsomnes of the water draweth many people thither upon St. Patrcks day yearlie in hope of health from disceasis be drinking therof, the town or village of Ardnacloich is hard by, renowned for a well also wher they alledge if a diseased person go, if he be to dye he shall find a dead worm therin or a quick one if health be to follow.
Google Earth of Ardchattan
John Knox 1720 -1790
Roy Map 1755
Lizars clans 1788-1859
Ecclesiastical map 1825
John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland, 1832
1877 OS Map
1895 OS map
OS map 1921-1930
Google Earth showing some of the topography
If you have any information, references, documents, images or comments on a period of history in this area please share it - click on HERE to go to the Ardchattan History Forum where it is easy to post your info and see what others are saying.
For information and news of the present day parish Click Here
Books to buy about the area : What happened here - when? : Big Bang to Ice Age : Ice Age to Early Man : Early Man : Bronze Age : Iron Age : Scots and Picts : Vikings : Somerled & the Clans : Medieval : 1400's 1500's 1600's 1700's : 1800's : 1900's : The Parish : The Estates : Glenure, Taraphocain, Baleveolan, Druimavuic : Dallachoilish & south Creagan : Barcaldine House : Achinreir : Achacha : Dalrannoch and Barcaldine Mill : Rhugarbh : Ferlochan : Culcharan : Letterwalton, : Dalintober, : Barcaldine Castle : Seabank : South Shian : Balure of Shian : Isle of Eriska : Ardentinny, : Fuararchy : Balure, : Lochnell, : Shenavallie : Kinloch, : Moss Croft & Achnamonie : Baravullin, : Kintaline : Keil / Kiel Crofts : Selma : Benderloch -The modern Village : Craigneuk, : Ledaig: north and south : North Connel: Black Crofts, Lochan-na-beithe : Moss of Achnacree, Dalvuie, Moss Cottage, Cairnbaan, : Achnacree More, Beag, Bay : Achnaba : Ardachy & Inion : Ardchattan, Priory, Baile Mhaodain : Inveresragan : Blarcreen : : Glen Salach : Ardchattan School : Bonawe village : Bonawe Quarries : Eilean Duirinnis : Craigs Cadderlie Dail Barrs : Glen Etive River Etive Glenkinglass Inverawe : Archival resources Old Parish Records : BMD from 1855 : 1841 : 1851 : 1861 : 1871 : 1881 : 1891 : 1901 : Graveyards : Statisical Accounts 1792 and 1845 : Flora : Fauna : Ardmucknish Bay : Geology : Chalybeate Spring : Occupations : Forestry : Fishing : Farming : Railway : Tourism :> Trades : Old Images around the area : Maps of the area : Surnames : Tartans and Insignia : Donate to the project : Our locality : Families : Photographs : History Forum : Contact Us : Kintaline Plant and Poultry Centre :